PML is seeking to recruit a talented Research Software Engineer augment its internationally renowned marine system modelling group.
- The numerical codes that we develop to understand, predict and identify solutions for marine systems are complex, addressing combinations of hydrodynamics, chemistry, physiology and ecosystems, using techniques such as data assimilation and latterly machine learning.
- Our models address scales ranging from global to local and tackle many key issues such as climate, sustainability, resources, pollution and energy provision.
- As the group expands it is essential to maximise our use of cutting edge computational technology to maintain and increase our international impact.
- The post will focus on the development and optimisation of our suite of modelling codes and analysis tools.
- One of our primary challenges is to ensure that our increasingly complex high resolution models remain tractable on available platforms and that our systems are future proof, given the projected development of “exascale” computation over the next 5-10 years and the demise of “Moore’s Law”.
- Applicants will require a PhD, MSc, or a minimum of three years postgraduate experience or equivalent, in a relevant computationally based discipline.
- Proven ability in programming and computer skills (e.g. Fortran, Python, Linux, or similar) is required, as will good mathematical and statistical skills, including ‘big data’ expertise.
- The successful applicant will be able to communicate effectively and clearly within a highly interdisciplinary environment, liaising with scientific colleagues in order to understand their requirements for specialised scientific software solutions and share knowledge and expertise with colleagues to enhance overall group effectiveness .
- The candidate will be able to work with minimal supervision and will have excellent time-management skills.
How to apply
Apply online and Interviews to be held in September, with the option of video interviews depending on candidate location and Covid-19 restrictions at the time.
Plymouth Marine Laboratory
|Type of position||Technology post|
|Subject areas||Computer science and engineering|