The role holder will work in the group of Prof Neil Hunt in Chemistry, in close collaboration with the group of Prof Thomas Krauss in Physics.
- The multidisciplinary project is funded by the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council to develop ultrafast 2D-IR spectroscopy tools that can measure the biomolecular composition of blood serum samples.
- The aim is to develop the 2D-IR spectroscopy and high throughput sample delivery methods needed to measure the serum concentrations of proteins, phospholipids, carbohydrates and nucleic acids in around one minute per sample, leading to the first ever application of ultrafast 2D-IR spectroscopy to patient samples.
- A particularly exciting aspect of the project is the use of photonic nanostructures for enhancing the nonlinear interaction and increasing the sensitivity of the measurement.
- You will play an important role within a multidisciplinary research team that consists of chemists and physicists at York in collaboration with the group of Dr Matthew Baker, a clinical spectroscopist at the University of Strathclyde.
- The Department of Chemistry is one of the largest and most successful departments at York and we are renowned internationally for our research. As a department, we strive to provide a working environment that allows all staff and students to contribute fully, to flourish, and to excel.
- Knowledge of research techniques and methodologies related to optical spectroscopy and nanofabrication
- First degree and PhD in Chemistry, Physics or related discipline
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex data
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills
- Ability to write-up research work for publications and to present to conferences
- Ability, experience and competency to develop research objectives and carry out individual and collaborative projects, planning and prioritising own work in order to meet deadlines
HOW TO APPLY:
: interested parties are strongly encouraged to contact Prof Neil Hunt (email@example.com) or Prof Thomas Krauss (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Organization||University of York,|
|Type of position||, Postdoctoral|