Applications are invited for PhD research in Organic Synthesis at the University Of Southampton School Of Chemistry.
- The successful applicant will join a new EU collaborative project ‘Smart Textiles for Regional Industry and Smart Specialisation Sectors (Smart)’ funded by the EU through the ERDF Interred Programme.
- This is a cutting-edge project involving collaborations between the Organic Chemistry and Smart Textiles Groups (ECS) at the University of Southampton; INSA, CNRS and the University of Rouen in Normandy; The French Institute for Ocean Science (IFREMER) in Brittany; and Splash Maps Ltd (UK).
- The successful applicant will be based in Southampton but will have opportunities to travel to work with our French and UK partners and associates.
- The project involves the design and synthesis of functional organic molecules for formulation into innovative light emitting inks that can be printed directly onto textiles.
- The Chemistry team will be designing and synthesising functional organic molecules with characteristics suitable for the ECS team to develop into printed devices.
- This cutting-edge technology has the potential to revolutionise the textiles sector by adding light and UV emitting functionality to an array of fabrics. Applications envisioned include smart bandages, mapping tools, safety devices and more.
- The PhD will undertake research in the following areas:
- The multi-step chemical synthesis of known smart inks for OLEC fabrication
- The design and synthesis of 2nd generation ink components with improved properties
- Students with a strong grounding in Synthetic Organic Chemistry to encouraged to apply.
- You should hold or expect to attain a 1st class or 2:1 UK Masters or BSc degree in Chemistry, or an international equivalent.
How can apply:
Applications should be made online here,
- please select the academic session 2020-21 “PhD Chemistry (Full Time)” as the programme.
- Please enter David Harrowven, Richard Brown or Richard Whitby under the proposed supervisor.Apply https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/how-to-apply/postgraduate-applications.page
- For further information please contact: email@example.com
|Organization||University of Southampton|
|Type of position||Postdoctoral|
|Subject areas||Organic Chemistry, Synthesis, Catalysis & Flow|