Ph.D. position (Chemical or Biochemical engineering) at the University of Calgary.
The University seeks applications from qualified and motivated young scientists with a passion for clean energy and interdisciplinary research to fill the position.
Title: Ph.D. position in Enzyme Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR)
EOR is a highly dynamic process that can be achieved by reducing oil viscosity, improving oil displacement (reducing interfacial tension), and modulating the rock-surface wettability. Principally, enzymes hold great advantages in EOR process;
- Enzymes can hydrolyze some crude oil components to reduce its viscosity,
- Enzyme surface is amphiphilic (with both hydrophilic and hydrophobic functional groups), which enables enzymes to act as surfactants by minimizing interfacial tension between oil and water/solvent phases (emulsification),
- The high affinity of the enzyme to the water/solvent-solid interface allows enzymes to improve the wettability of the rock surface towards oil recovery.
Requirements / Qualifications
- Candidates with a background in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering or related disciplines with a strong interest in biochemistry, enzymology, piloting and process scale-up, and process optimization.
- The candidate will be responsible for evaluating several enzymes and biochemical pathways for enhanced oil recovery.
- Genetic manipulation approaches to edit/modify the DNA sequence and create new characteristics of these enzymes.
- Use enzyme immobilization technologies (immobilize enzyme on nanoparticles) to improve enzyme stability and interaction of enzymes and targeted substrates.
- Perform genome mining of related micro-organisms using bioinformatics tools to identify novel targets (enzymes) and homologs across enzyme families.
Applications should consist of
- Current CV,
- List of 2-3 referees with contact information
- Cover letter indicating which area you are interested in
- The position is available immediately and the search will continue until the team is assembled.
- Fellowship Will be ascertained as per university norms.
|Organization||University of Calgary|
|Subject areas||Enzyme Enhanced Oil Recovery: Chemical or Biochemical engineering|
|Eligibility||Ph.D. degree in relevant subject|
|Deadline||Applications will be accepted periodically yearly.|